Post-Purchase Content Marketing
Level Up Your Post-Purchase Content Marketing Strategies This Holiday Season
Post-purchase content marketing refers to an organization’s efforts to connect and interact with their customers after they have made a purchase. Like it’s name implies, this type of marketing seeks to reinforce brand loyalty and build the foundation for future revenue opportunities following a purchase of some kind. Below, we’ll discuss in further detail how post-purchase marketing can prove instrumental during the holidays and how you can assemble an effective campaign.
As first-party data continues to dominate online consumerism trends, the need for successful post-purchase content marketing has never been more important. This type of digital marketing is especially paramount during the holiday season, when a majority of online retailers reach their yearly sales pinnacle. However, while many companies seek to engage with customers on a pre-purchase level, where acquisitional ads are key, post-purchase content marketing works differently. Instead of attaining new customers, the realm of post-purchase marketing seeks to retain current customers through a variety of methods designed to facilitate further engagement.
Retain Customers and Build Revenue With Post-Purchase Communication
What many of these online retailers and companies fail to realize is how post-purchase communication is essential to building a profitable business. Revenue generated from initial sales is certainly a building block for any company, but retention is what helps foster sales growth and really sets a business apart from the rest. Fortunately, the digital marketing world has been blessed with all the tools necessary to make this a reality, as first-party data aims to do just that – retain customers through personalized engagement.
So, how exactly can companies utilize this post-purchase communication to their advantage, especially in the realm of holiday content marketing?
- User-generated content – This type of content can be collected in the form of ratings and reviews, or Q&As that give customers a chance to provide critical feedback. This feedback can provide a great basis to develop further content of value, by understanding what did or did not make this purchase experience satisfactory for the customer, and adjusting accordingly.
- Social engagement – Targeted ad campaigns and social media posts are fantastic ways to develop creative insights into what is and isn’t working for a company. Even tutorials and ‘how-to’ videos have become a common practice to teach customers how to get the most out of a company’s product. Truth is, people tend to be more forward on social media, and aren’t afraid to call out a poorly targeted ad. Use this to your advantage and figure out what works and what doesn’t.
- Emails, notifications, and receipts – In a first-party data-driven landscape, companies have so much information at their exposure that is essentially agreed upon during a purchase. Emails are critical to retaining customer engagement, and luckily they can be personalized to a great extent. Through follow-up messages, notifications for new updates or upcoming releases, and personalized receipts, post-purchase engagement can be maintained through these emails, where a customer can continue to learn more about your company even after initial purchase.
The Key Three Tips For Post-Purchase Content
- Segment! – Knowing when to present the right content to a customer at the right time is absolutely essential. For someone who just recently made a first-time purchase, sending an upsell email might not be the best move. It’s important to accurately segment your content based on customer behavior, usage, and stage of development, which will result in much better conversion rates.
- Personalization – Research has indicated that personalized emails result in six times higher transaction rates. Engaging with customers on a personal level will allow them to feel more comfortable about further attempted engagement, and this can be done simply by providing their name, plan, past purchases and other relatable factors, showing that you understand their needs.
- Tracking results – By creating detailed notes for tracking sales and metrics, it becomes far easier to create useful campaigns going forward. Especially during the holiday season, tracking these instances allows you to see additional revenue generated, and reduce churn.
flexEngage, Your Post-Purchase Experience Platform
As one of the leading post-purchase experience platforms, flexEngage delivers custom-made transactional communications that reduce churn for brand-driven retailers. We believe that customer loyalty begins the moment after purchase, and our white-glove services can turn POS into a marketing machine. Through engagements such as digital receipts, order status messages, and other turnkey products, companies can multiply the number of repeat purchases and extend their customer lifetime value. Learn more about our customers, or contact us today for any questions or comments.